Would you do a LDR? | Forum

ao2887 Jun 8 '16
With better technology, it'd seem natural for long distance relationships to thrive but I feel like people just don't want to get involved. Wondering how others feel about this. To me, keeping in mind a relationship doesn't just have to be romantic, if it's hard to travel often, LDRs are like an adventure and getting to meet in person is just that much more rewarding. 
Share:
Intheclouds23 Jun 13 '16
I dont mind the ldr as well. There are benefits to it then people dating closer cant I think. Just people need to open there eyes to other options for meeting others in general 
Heretic76 Jun 16 '16
Anyone thinking of partaking in a Long Distance Relationship (LDR) should first view the movie, "Like Crazy" staring Felicity Jones, Anton Yelchin, and Jennifer Lawrence. The film captures the "longing" of missing someone and the "euphoria" or reunion quite perfectly. It also shows that even w/ constant texting, skype, and cell phones, that the time difference can ultimately make the relationship VERY trying on one's soul. 

LDRs are certainly not for everyone, but I'm sure those who are mature enough to handle the long bouts of loneliness may be able to persevere. Just make sure to set goals to meet for the two of you to eventually be together full time. A lingering situation without solution can lead to disaster - BEEN THERE! 

joestarbill Jul 13 '16
LDRs are hard to maintain, especially if they haven't face to face yet. There are a limited amount of things you could talk about. You don't know each other's friends and families. Usually you have to talk about common interests and its really difficult to get a hold of each other.
Amira Oct 11 '16
LDR are practical only when you are married and separated for only couple of months. It is super difficult to maintain and also if you have never met the person, you never know about your chemistry.. you can be super great together as friends.. and when finally meet up - no sex drive... thats lol
Mrevilandy Oct 13 '16
LDR challenges every relationship. So to even just start as LDR is rough could be fun for a bit but human beings naturally crave physical contact. It's doable but goooood luck lol
ao2887 Oct 16 '16

Quote from Intheclouds23 I dont mind the ldr as well. There are benefits to it then people dating closer cant I think. Just people need to open there eyes to other options for meeting others in general 

I totally agree!

Quote from Heretic76 Anyone thinking of partaking in a Long Distance Relationship (LDR) should first view the movie, "Like Crazy" staring Felicity Jones, Anton Yelchin, and Jennifer Lawrence. The film captures the "longing" of missing someone and the "euphoria" or reunion quite perfectly. It also shows that even w/ constant texting, skype, and cell phones, that the time difference can ultimately make the relationship VERY trying on one's soul. 

LDRs are certainly not for everyone, but I'm sure those who are mature enough to handle the long bouts of loneliness may be able to persevere. Just make sure to set goals to meet for the two of you to eventually be together full time. A lingering situation without solution can lead to disaster - BEEN THERE! 

I might just have to check that out, is it on Netflix?

Quote from joestarbill LDRs are hard to maintain, especially if they haven't face to face yet. There are a limited amount of things you could talk about. You don't know each other's friends and families. Usually you have to talk about common interests and its really difficult to get a hold of each other.

But I feel like that with every day people one encounters no? Like it's always the same conversations imo. I've been able to manage hours of conversation everyday in a past LDR.

Quote from Amira LDR are practical only when you are married and separated for only couple of months. It is super difficult to maintain and also if you have never met the person, you never know about your chemistry.. you can be super great together as friends.. and when finally meet up - no sex drive... thats lol

Fair enough except the sex drive part, it'd be more intense no as every time would have been ages? Also to clarify I meant if one had already met his/her partner before engaging in the LDR.

Quote from Mrevilandy LDR challenges every relationship. So to even just start as LDR is rough could be fun for a bit but human beings naturally crave physical contact. It's doable but goooood luck lol

Haha word.

Miketo Nov 11 '16
My step sister was in a LDR and ended up marrying the guy.  She met him when he was giving a talk at the company she worked for.  They were friends, they called and email each other and started falling in love.  Then he flew from Alaska, USA to Halifax Canada.  He flew to her several times and then he asked her to fly to his place and they spent some time together and got married.

LDR can work if there is patience.
For me personally I don't want sex before marriage, I'm old fashioned that way.  A stable relationship can't be based on lust and let's face you can't be in love unless you truly commit to someone.
tranbrian28 Jan 2
I am actually in a LDR at the moment with a girl from Turkey. It is a new experience for me, and I may be biased since I am currently in a LDR but I am loving it so far. I suggest LDRs for people who are truly looking for someone to spend their life with not people who are just looking for a girl to sleep with or looking for a white girl specifically. If you are dating while looking race it's pretty pathetic anyways.
jeanbhoang Jan 6
I think LDR is exciting. :)
raddbeth Jan 31
I would have a LDR, with the right person. I think if having a physical relationship is extremely important to you, it probably wouldn't work. I am looking for a relationship outside my area due to the lack of AMs in my city (that aren't university students and much too young for me!).
VFL Mar 19
I dated a girl from Ecuador for two years. We met in Korea and started dating 6 months later. Like any relationship it had its ups and downs. The lack of physical contact really made things hard. I'm not talking about just sex. Communication was key. It takes a lot of effort on both ends and both people have to be willing to give equal amounts of effort. We managed to see each other twice a year. Each time was a month. We both really cared for each other but the distance and lack of trust after her cheating really took its toll. Since I was working full time and going to school it was really hard for me to communicate on top of that at the end of the relationship I never got over her cheating and I was having a lot of personal issues with experiences on EMT clinicals. The financial strain of having a trans continental relationship was a lot. She was in medical school so I ended up paying for everything. I don't regret any of it. It ended very badly but I would do it again with someone else, if I really cared about them. You have to have a lot of self discipline and like any life goals see the reward for all the hard work. 
Lefty Apr 7
I actually am one of those Big 4 auditor who always travel to clients for a good chunk of a year and sadly enough I think it would be easier on my future gf if we were in a LDR since not being able to see eachother often while living in the same city is certainly mentally harder to cope with than me flying to see her monthly or weekly even. And I know once or twice a week is still not enough but you guys kno what I meant right?